Caring for Sick Infants

Having a sick little one isn't easy at all and having a sick infant is very hard! .....I can't decide which is worse, a sick toddler or infant... :-/

I got a phone call this morning from a Grandma who was calling for her daughter-in-law. She has a little baby who isn't feeling well today and Grandma wanted to know how I would care for my baby, as they are only weeks apart in age. This baby's doctor advised to give Baby Tylenol Drops, but Mama wasn't willing to do that. Yay for her!! =)My personal opinion is that Tylenol has a time and place (I've used it many times), but only after trying some home remedies first.

I exclusively breastfeed my babies till at least six months. I prefer to not start solids until 7-8 months though. So when I'm nursing and I have a sick baby, what can I do? Take herbs!!


My advice to Grandma was for the Mama to take Echinacea, Vitamin C and two Garlic Tablets every two hours and try to get Baby to nurse more often. Baby will get some of the herbs from breastfeeding and help their little body fight off the sickness.

Those days of sick babies can be so hard on mama's! Quite often, baby just wants to be held and cuddled by mama. When you have other little ones running around, that can be quite challenging. I try to just focus on staying hydrated, taking my herbs, remembering that this too will pass, and try to enjoy the extra cuddle time with the kids. =) Whenever I have a few minutes, I work as quick as I can in one area to try and keep a little order. It will be over in a few days and then I can get the house back under control. But those time when sickness invades and the kids need Mama, that's more important that a clean house....no matter how much I want it. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Me My Nap Time!

Three Tips to Help You (Mostly) Keep Your Sanity

Littles Memorizing?? It can be done!!