Elderberry Syrup

My kids have all had colds in some form for the last couple of weeks. Nothing bad, just enough for it to be bothersome to them with icky noses. Then I found out we had been exposed to Whooping Cough. bleh. So I started doing research on Whooping Cough, what it is, how to prevent and treat it. We tried a couple of different antibiotic/cough syrup recipes involving garlic....and not one single member of my family could take it. :-/ I had complaints of headaches, upset tummy, and just general not liking it. So we moved on to plan B. =) Making homemade Black Elderberry Syrup. I was buying it from my local health food store, but its not cheap, so I was thrilled to discover I could make it for myself for a whole lots cheaper...plus I knew exactly what was going into it. I found a wonderful new blog to follow (deeprootsathome.com) and she told and showed me how to make Elderberrry Sryup!! I found another site (wellnessmama.com) with a slightly different recipe. I didn't have cinnamon sticks or cloves, so I did a combination of the recipes. =)

1.) Add 1 cup fresh or 1/2 dried elderberries to your saucepan.


2.) Add in 3.5 cups of water and 1 tsp of powdered cinnamon


3.) Bring to a boil, then turn down and let it simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by about half. Next you pour your liquid through a strainer and smash the berries to get as much juice out of the berries as you can. Discard or compost your berries.


4.) Let your liquid cool completely before adding in 1 cup of honey. I used deeprootsathome note that she only used 3/4 cup of honey and I did the same. Mix the honey in well then pour into your jar of choice. It will keep in the fridge 2-3 weeks....although I've seen other sites that say it keeps a lot longer, so maybe its just best at the 2-3 week mark...I need to do more research. =)


Just for fun I thought I'd throw in this picture. =) This is what my 7 month old was doing while I was making this. I teach my kids to love vinegar starting at a very young age. :-P


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Me My Nap Time!

Three Tips to Help You (Mostly) Keep Your Sanity

Littles Memorizing?? It can be done!!