Thursday, March 26, 2015

Love Me My Nap Time!

I don't know about your household, but in ours, between 1pmish - 3pmish, we have nap time. For the older kids its just a quiet time and for the Littles, they take naps. My oldest usually reads, works on a personal project, reads or plays on the iPad, and does her devotions. My second and third are in the Den together, each taking an end of the couch. They often have to have a reading time, sometimes are allowed to get out a bin from the closet (I'll be writing a future post on using some awesome bins to simplify my life) and then are allowed to watch a movie, while they just rest. I'm 31 weeks along with #6, so lately they've just had a movie time so that I could get some good rest in and not have to think about anything else. Might sound sad, but it works. :)

My fourth still takes naps, so she's in her bedroom where my oldest is resting and doing her own thang in her own bed. My youngest is in the midst of dropping her morning nap and only taking an afternoon nap. Some days she stays up till 2-2:30 and just plays before going down for a nap. On the days when I can get her to skip her morning nap, she goes down at 1 with the rest of the hooligans.

Right now, my quiet time almost always involves a nap, but I can usually only get in about 20 minutes of sleep before my legs start getting restless. Bothersome. Sigh. The rest of the time I'll either rest and watch movie, while trying to doze a *little* bit more (rarely actually happens though grrrr) or I'll work on some paperwork - making lists and organizing for something, working on the next months menu and/or grocery lists, plotting and planning - and then there are those rare days where I have energy to spare and start working on a project around the house. SOMETIMES I even *finish* it! :D

In our home, this daily rest time is strictly enforced. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Its a time for Mama to recharge, get some rest, and hopefully some quiet. Its a time for the kids to each get some down time and quiet. Everyone needs to be alone for some period of time during the day. For some, they need longer, others just need a few minutes of "time out". My husband and I are both the type that really need some time to ourselves during the day to just be alone. I get mine in the afternoon and he takes about 20 minutes in the evening after dinner to just chill, and on his day off, he just joins the rest of us, finds a place to chill and thoroughly enjoys it. :)

Even though two of my kids have their rest time together, I limit the amount of interaction between them so they still get that "alone" time. My oldest has been allowed to come out of her room on some days so she can work on some writing projects at her desk, but that often leads her to wanting to ask me questions, read me some of her work, or something like that. And there are times when I'll think of something I just want to chat about with her. But we both need that time to just be alone, so we've been working to make sure we both keep our mouths shut. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment